Breaking Kent LONDON Orpington

Firefighters tackled a fire at a house on Rosecroft Close in Orpington on Saturday evening

 

Most of the first floor and part of the external facia of the semi-detached house were damaged by the fire. There were no reports of any injuries.

The Brigade’s fire investigators believe the fire was accidental and involved a lithium-ion battery.

A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: “Batteries can present a fire risk if they’re over-charged, short circuited, submerged in water or damaged, so it’s really important to protect them against being damaged and charge them safely.

“Unplug devices once they have finished charging and always make sure you use the right charger for your device.”

The Brigade was called at 5.15pm  and the fire was under control by 6.36pm . Four fire engines and around 25 firefighters from Orpington and Sidcup fire stations were at the scene.

Firefighters’ battery safety tips

  • Always use the charger that came with your device.
  • If you need to buy a replacement, always choose a branded, genuine product from a supplier you can trust. There are lots of fakes out there, and it can be difficult to spot the difference.
  • Avoid storing, using or charging batteries at very high or low temperatures.
  • Protect batteries against being damaged – that’s crushed, punctured, or immersed in water.