Breaking Gillingham Kent

One person was led to safety by crews after a kitchen fire at a home in Gillingham

Kent Fire and Rescue Service was called to reports of a fire at flats in Canterbury Street, where it’s believed a pan of oil had overheated accidentally and caught alight. Two fire engines attended and firefighters wore breathing apparatus while using main jets and hose reel jets to extinguish the flames, before using a high pressured fan to clear the property of smoke. The man who was led out of the flats was suffering with suspected smoke inhalation and was passed into the care of SECAmb paramedics. No other casualties were reported. Following the incident, crews are reminding people to take extra care in the kitchen and to always keep looking while you’re cooking. If you need to leave the room, make sure to switch off any cooking appliances that are in use and remove any pans from the hob, oven or grill. Also, remember to have a working smoke alarm on each floor of your home and to test it weekly to ensure it provides early warning in the event of a fire.